Monday, September 28, 2009

New Policy

My first job was at a Pizza Hut in my tiny town. It was rumored that a certain cook kept a full flask in his back pack to help him get thru the day. That cook and I became friends – we could have been more if I hadn’t listened to my parents to stay away from multi-pierced, long haired boys that drove vans and drew comics in their spare time. However, he did begin my fasicination with piercings. Nearly 8 years after knowing him, I went out for lunch one hot summer day with my co workers and returned with a belly button piercing. I had really wanted a nose piercing but was too chicken. Years later, I impulsively pierced my nose to check off an item on my 30 by 30 list. I checked with my HR department and was told that our company didn’t have a policy against facial piercings but the final dress code decision was up to my supervisor. I felt like luck was on my side – I could come to work half naked and hungover and my boss wouldn’t come out of his office long enough to notice or comment. A couple of weeks go by. My HR friend calls me one day out of the blue and lets me know that our work place is instituting a company wide policy regard facial piercings. FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment